02 November 2011

[notes on a dull rainy day]

[One thing that confounds me about blogging: it means you're not actually doing. Here I confess to writing a post about a rainy day in Providence on a beautiful day when I just want to be outside.]
My recent posts have been about imagination. In other places, far, far away from my everyday reality. But what about intrigue in our mundane everyday existences? Two days ago I challenged myself to take note of the things that inspired me--despite the shitty Providence fall weather. Here's what I found, in my Situationist-International-style quest for the provocative amid the mundane. I urge you to do the same the next day you awake to a saturated sky that won't let you look up. But then you do.



My stack of current sketchbooks and my Clivia plant on my desk

I'm at an unfair disadvantage being at art school, often elevated from the banal. Here, a few images from the recent exhibition of RISD architecture thesis proposals that piqued my interest that day:







Loren Howard's piece on the right: hand-rubbed graphite on board,
etched. About entropy.

Richard Watson's hand-felted piece about the inadequacy of computers
 to design/render certain objects or ideas. 

Detail of Felt
And a handful of paintings that I made on dismal days in the last year:













"Darkness" Oil on Canvas  8x12
"That Gray Week" Oil on Canvas  12x16


"Storm over the Centennial" Oil on Canvas  14x10


Untitled Pen on Paper  6x10

"Linda's Tree" Pen on Paper in Sketchbook  12x8
"Bronx Mental map" Pen on Trace Paper  24x36


No comments:

Post a Comment