18 August 2011

[notes from camp on little bear creek]

Last summer I lived under a cottonwood grove in a 10'x18' canvas wall tent with my boyfriend, a few mice, some bugs, and occasional guests. Yes, we had a real bed with nice linen, and I promise I've never slept better in my entire life. Sounds of the creek out the tent flaps and cottonwood leaves clattering on windy evenings after candle-lit dinners and a couple beers-in-cans or glasses of white wine coaxed us to sleep under a heavy duvet. My grandmother's zebra skin covered the canvas floor in the kitchen space. My favorite folding table and bench from India hosted many brainstorm sessions and meals with friends. My only regret: bringing electricity in to power our computers halfway through July. 












further reading]


Peter Beard's The Adventures and Misadventures of Peter Beard in Africa or any of his other books. He always kept the best camps while in Kenya. Never prissy, always functional, yet colorful enough to entertain dignitaries and convicts.


Safari Living (although this is quite a bit fancier, still fun to see for ideas)

No comments:

Post a Comment