28 August 2011

[notes from a riad courtyard]

My mother taught me a great lesson of solo travel while I was 18 and living alone in Switzerland: find one thing or place that makes you feel at home and in your own skin. Living in Dubai for two long, hot years, I came here to feel grounded and remember what was important to me. Hidden in the old part of the city, this small traditional riad houses contemporary Arab art gallery XVA and a small cafe. Suspended linen panels overhead shaded me from the hot sun, potted citrus trees and thick grasses fed my eyes, and the old thick walls held me tight, away from the clamor of people racing for money and large spaces. 


Linen panels from above


Update: Town & Country Travel and the Guardian UK picked up on XVA a couple years after I left 
(Photo: Guardian UK) 
(Photo: Guardian UK) 

No comments:

Post a Comment