14 November 2012

[notes on the image of a successful life]


My perspective of what life as a young creative professional looks like shifted this summer visiting friends in Topanga Canyon, in an off-the-radar kind of place north of L.A. 

The first friend was talented actress Missi Pyle (recently in "The Artist") who's bravely following her creative winds. The second two were Andrew Cushman, advocate at Tree People, kayak guide on the indomitable L.A. River, and lifelong adventurer and his girlfriend Giulia, gorgeous surfer and lawyer at the NRDC. Very different people doing very different things, yet bound together by this place, our current economic climate, and a commitment to living well in the most honest sense, pursuing passion, and contributing to our culture and environment. Regardless of the risks and rewards. Along with six other similarly successful squatters, Andrew and Giuilia "rent dirt" on a 25-acre communal spread. Their bricks and mortar include an Airstream trailer, a large deck with a canvas wall tent, and a vegetable garden. As I watched Giulia leave calmly for work after coffee overlooking the canyon and an hour of surfing in a well-pressed suit, I was reminded that it's time for a major overhaul of what the image of a successful life looks like today. Here's a glimpse into theirs:






Seeing this intentionally simple lifestyle while simultaneously facing massive student loans,  an ongoing recession, and a move to a new city, I took the chance to begin to craft what my own life could look like. 

While I never imagined that I'd be 32 and living in an Airstream trailer, I'm doing just that in the San Francisco Bay area. It comes with the job. I turned down standard salaried positions for the chance to work in an innovative design collective, designing healthy landscapes for people. BASE Landscape Architecture. Check them out. We work our creative magic from 9-6 with a refuel for lunch often at my colleagues' veggie garden around the corner. We encourage each other to maintain a life outside of work, to engage in the community, and to check our egos at the door. Our clients are visionary, value that we do things differently, and appreciate our fresh approach to their projects and our own practice. Life seems to happening on the terms of honest intent rather than expected pretense. I'm having a lot of fun, keeping my costs down which allows me the flexibility to pursue innovative new ideas and clients, painting when I can, and exploring the area. Come visit, the door's open.


BASE Landscape Hideout, Photo credit: Dwell Magazine, "The Airstream Life"

BASE Landscape Hideout workspace, Photo credit: Dwell Magazine, "The Airstream Life"


2 comments: